Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Losing Something and Moving On

Will etching

Sayre's Law states, in a formulation quoted by Charles Philip Issawi: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue." By way of corollary, it adds: "That is why academic politics are so bitter." Sayre's law is named after Wallace Stanley Sayre (1905-1972), U.S. political scientist and professor at Columbia University.  On 20 December 1973, the Wall Street Journal quoted Sayre as: "Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low."

It has been a tough four months in which I have lived in limbo.    My part-time job was turned into a full-time position around March.  I applied for it.  And it has taken the powers that be four months to tell me the results of their search.  I do not do limbo very well.

For the past twelve years I have worked part-time within an institution, but full-time within the context in which I worked, which was teaching printmaking and art.  I set up a printmaking program within a new school, made it mine, let it evolve into conforming with and enhancing the parameters of the department within which it existed, and loved every moment in which I saw kids fall in love with making art, and surprisingly enough because not everybody likes it, making prints.  Today, that thing I gave so much of myself to create was taken away form me.  I did not get the position.

It has been hard on me because it is not as if I was applying anonymously for an anonymous job.  I could have more easily handled that.  It has been a tough four months because, not only was I applying for my job, I was doing the job while applying for it.  Granted, the scope of the full-time position is much greater than that of my part-time job; but because I had been with the institution from its inception, when part-time jobs functioned differently, I knew what was involved in the position and was looking forward to the challenge of working full-time.

Long ago, I had chosen to teach part-time because I thought that in doing so, I would have time to continue making art while earning some money.  I was indeed able to make some art over these years; but even when it is part-time, teaching is full-time.  It is all-consuming, especially teaching at the level I was doing it.  I have missed being totally immersed in my art work, but I have loved the teaching.

I can’t begin to describe how painful it has been to have something which I felt was so integrally part of who I am wrenched away from me.  To use a cliché, it’s as if a piece of my gut has been ripped off. 

Apparently (or so I was told), I am a great teacher of printmaking, as exemplified by the work that follows and by the awards my kids were always getting, and by the marketplace: strangers asked to buy their prints.  Also, apparently, I am a great teacher of art; for although I was paid to teach printmaking, I've always refused to only teach the mechanics of the thing without having the kids investigate the meaning and context of art by giving them extra work which they did willingly.  I always thought that was part of the mandate of the program.  And, apparently once more, I am a great artist.  It seems that what I am lacking is what it takes to be a good citizen of the Governor School for the Arts and no longer much Humanities.  And after two years (1/16/13), I can safely say that I proudly agree with that assessment, I really was the wrong person for that job though as Lou Reed says, “Don’t believe anything your hear and half of what you see.”  Maybe that comes with the territory of wanting to be an artist and seeing through the bullshit, and in my case, voicing it. 

I will miss the teaching, it comes naturally to me; but I will finally have enough time to seriously investigate pictorial ideas in the studio again, and that too is like breathing.  The last time I investigated ideas intensely in the studio was years ago when I was as fully unemployed as I am once again.  This hurts right now, but it is a good thing.  Here’s to new beginnings...

What follows is a tiny tiny fraction of student prints I have collected over the years- I love looking at them.  I chose these because they were readily available in my computer: 


Zeke etching

Sydney etching

Sydney etching

Sydney etching

Josh linocut

Marie linocut

Seth linocut

Emma etching

Emma etching

Madeline etching

Morna Etching

Laura lithograph

Lisa lithograph

Celie reduction linocut

Eliza reduction linocut

Whitney reduction linocut

Ross etching

Sophia etching
Laura lithograph

8 comments:

  1. I love you, Katya. This is really upsetting and I just wanted to share my love with you.
    I feel extremely sorry for the kids that won't have you for a teacher.
    I made you a goofy text owl:
    ,___,
    |o,o\
    //.../
    -,',-,',---
    Once again, you have my love and thanks for two awesome years and concentration and for all things you taught me and the printmaking virus you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too little one, you and all the lives that touched mine in that crazy screwy place. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katya you were honestly the best teacher I ever had and concentrating with you for my senior year was one of those experiences that helped me find something that I truly loved and was good at. The happiest moments from my entire SCGSAH experience came from haunting the printmaking studio and destroying my plates . I'm sp grateful to have been you student and I wish you nothing short of the best.
    -Maria Isabel Arroyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katya I'm truly sorry and I am totally with sarah--I hate to think of the kids that will miss out on having you as a teacher. Miss out on Hearing you carry on about the institution. Miss out on your lectures about all art movements being dead and warning us to stay away! stay away from art as a career. But funny thing is you got it back-asswards You couldn't have made me fall in love with art more. It was like you gave us all the bad things that could happen if we continued to feed our addiction but I always felt like there was still this tone in your voice that was like "fuck it. all the reasons not to. go crazy!" haha maybe I am way off but I swear you were always persuading us even though you were warning us haha c; and to that to everything, I am eternally grateful. And being the optimist that I always am c; I will end with saying there is not point at looking at the kids that will miss out on experiencing you as an art educator but at all the government school students that did--and that will never forget ya c:

    love you so much

    ps
    sorry I haven't responded to your email...I will soon I promise
    --Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what my second semester this year would have been like without you. I am so upset by this. Really, the teaching and encouragement I got from you motivated me more than anyone. What Sara said, I love you and I'm sorry, for you and for future students there. I will still have to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Emma (-; "fuck it!" And Melanie, yeah, you definitely keep in touch; and Maria, I still love those destroyed prints and brag about you doing that to them all the time--- destruction is part of creation: that is the most important lesson I could teach you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katya...

    i nearly cried when i got this news. im so sad that i cant just walk into your room anymore and see you. If i had taken Printmaking this year, it would have been for you. We all miss you terribly. and we have to call the new chick by her last name(S)... which sucks. that class was amazing because of you. and I wish you were still here. you made me love the work of etching and printing. You also inspired all of us. from when you were in my first jury, i was excited to have your class. these juniors have no idea what they are missing- but we do. we all love you and miss you katya. <3 macy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous Macy- I miss you too! ...And thanks for expressing yourself here even if it is making my life a little difficult, for I’ve had to think long and hard before publishing this expression of your caring for me... But within the bounds of full disclosure in which I choose to live, and which gets me into trouble, I opt to do it.

    I know that my not being there is a blow to some of you and I wish I could make it easier. Know that I think of you and wish you all the very best. Soon I’ll be but a cozy memory (-; Your new teacher is terrific and a very nice person; she is however not “a chick”. I know that you will come to love and respect her (almost (-;) as much as you love me. ...At the beginning of last semester you did not know me either...

    As for her name, she has no choice as to what you have to call her, those are the rules. You could call me Katya only because I make a habit of flaunting rules--- and believe it or not, I used it as a teaching tool (but that is a long story). However, flaunting rules can bite one in the ass (though I have the choice not to have it any other way). Knowing you, I have a feeling that operating within rules irk you as much as some rules irk me, so be careful.

    As your ex-teacher who wants to protect you, I just want to point out (and I want you to catalogue this somewhere) that there are always consequences for everything you do, including standing up for what you believe in, especially within a system that does not hold the same beliefs.

    So let this be a lesson: Always try to know what you want, weigh the consequences of your actions in the context of what you think you want, be careful with what you say and write, and how what you do will impact what you want. Therefore, my lovely Macy, for the time being, for god’s sake, refrain from calling your female teachers “Chicks”!

    ....though you can call me that anytime (-; I do love you (and miss you-> I can picture your freckled face as I write...) Have a terrific year.

    ReplyDelete