Sunday, December 13, 2009

Just one of those mornings...




Being in the middle of darkness, by definition, means that one can’t see.  And in these times, there are days, where I feel overcome by blindness. 

Living with The Ranting Economist puts me in touch with all kinds of “future predictors” and the “faith” that in the long run economic markets recover.  Business news channels with talking heads spelling out their vision for an eventual recovery are always on in our household.  Despite that, and the seemingly wonderful news coming from developing economies South and East of us, some days, I just can’t shake a feeling of doom. 

There is a paradigm shift in the air, or at least there should be; and those can be harder and longer to weather than spelled out by theory.   Until recently the global economy was dependent on the gluttony of the American Consumer; but that fat cow has been slaughtered.  Some of the rosy predictions for our future still seem to be predicated on its resurrection, and that feels like insanity to me. 

Despite “better than expected” numbers, we are in a world of hurt right now; and, on days like today, I just don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I guess I should learn to be a better “little economist” and start having faith....

No comments:

Post a Comment