Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Raving on into the New Year! latest letter to Morning Edition

I'm aliiiive!

Oh my god! I just had to slam the radio off when you played that Trout Fishing in America “children’s” song about Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. Not that I don’t believe we should teach history to children; but this is a sure fire way to kill it. Except for the politically correct lyrics, it did not sound any different than the inane children songs that annoyingly emanate from “children sections” at bookstores. If I were a parent who had to be held hostage to that song, I would ask my captors to simply kill me. This stuff is not educational in any sense of the word: it does not educate about history and certainly has nothing to do with music. It’s just unimaginative, 2-4 twangy, Americo-centric indoctrination. I rather listen to commercial jingles about hemorrhoid medicine. Maybe Kathy O’Connell went on to discuss more creative picks; but like I said, I couldn’t get past her favorite.

Sincerely,
Katya Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment