Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Jehovah Witnesses came again today




Just as they did in summer, The Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door again today.  And just as in summer, I did spend time listening before breaking it to them that I was not interested in what they were selling.  It seems that the only salespeople I am able to resist are those selling religion; but that is another story...

Based on, albeit a statistically insignificant sample of only two data points, I have concluded that the most beautiful black women in the world belong to that church.  In summer, it was a most beautiful pair consisting of grandmother and granddaughter who came to offer me salvation. While today my doorbell was rung by a couple consisting of a not so pretty red-haired woman together with a most gorgeous and sexy Haitian woman.  Not only was this woman beautiful, she was passionate; and her passion made her even more beautiful as she wove the insane logic of the bible together with present day events. And as I once again tired of the tedious need that humans have to weave faith into things, part of me let her go on telling me about God just so I could keep looking at her; no doubt, one more sin added to my collection of small sins.

When I decided I needed to get back to work, I interrupted The Beautiful Woman by saying that I really did appreciate them coming to see me and tell me about their faith.  I told them that I was sincerely happy for them in their reading of The Book; but that I was not going to start reading the bible because I am a non-believer.   I never know what is more offensive to Christians; whether it is telling them that I am an atheist and refuse to read their bible, or telling them I am a Jew and refuse to do it; either one usually puts an end to the conversation.

This time I kept the "jewish thing" out of it and went with the "unbeliever thing".  But This Beautiful Believer was not so easily deterred.  She looked at me, in disbelief, and asked me how and when "it" had happened.  I answered, truthfully, that at the age of eleven I decided there was no god.  She asked me what I thought had made me think that way....  "It came to me," I said.  She asked, "But what do you think caused it."  I did not want to get into a big discussion on how my young mind became perfectly comfortable with the idea that primal causes were not necessary, so using bible logic I answered, tongue in cheek, "God (?)."   We went on to talk about morality.

I did need to get back to work and again thanked them for their time. And seeing that she was not going to convince me to read the bible, The Beautiful Woman gave me the pictured pamphlet above on the evils, some of which I agree with, of technology.  We parted friends; and I sat back here to work. ...And then the Siren Song of Evil Technology beaconed me to waste more time by writing this blog.  It is a truly beautiful day out there; and there is a possibility, albeit slim, that those women are spending it more productively than I  (-;

No comments:

Post a Comment