Monday, June 28, 2010

small thought about minimalism

  


I was reading Jeffrey Deitch's  vision for where he wants to take MOCA; and in the article he talks about the 80's "expressive" reaction against Minimalism.  This, to me, easy explanation of both the 80's and of Minimalism seems to be pervasive in a lot of things I read. A lot of people talk about Minimalism as if it was "un-visible"; as if it were lacking in visual and emotional power.  That seems to me to be a misunderstanding of Minimalism;  Minimal art was never lacking in visuality.   I saw a retrospective of Donald Judd's work in the 80's at the Whitney (yes, when museums, for better or worse were practically empty, as Deitch mentions the MOMA being at that time, in the same article) and I realized then how emotionally powerful the work could be.  And compared to some of the things I see in museums today, Minimal art seems positively dazzling!

And in case you forgot: BOYCOTT BP-- and I wish we could boycott the government too...Visualize disaster here

No comments:

Post a Comment