Saturday, December 11, 2010

halelujah

The other day I saw a bumper sticker that said "Believe on the lord Jesus and thou shall be saved".  Now, I am used to and truly sick and tired of people who sport their so-called religious beliefs on their bumpers; but all the bad English on this one, other than absolutely confirming "one more again" that, at the very least, this area of the country has absolutely no chance of "being saved", did tickle my imagination for a few minutes while I waited for the light to change.  

After a moment of reflection on the pretentiousness of using the word "thou" on a bumper sticker (and how, if the point of using it is to pretentiously  prove to the driving community that the owner of the car actually reads the bible, it should be pretentiously paired with the word "shalt"), I started having fantasies about what it might mean to believe "on" Jesus.  After a few moments of  envisioning all the ways in which I could have fun believing "on Jesus", the light turned green and we all moved on with our belief systems intact.  I've gotta move away from here... but I can't afford a space craft quite yet...Merry Christmas... Mr. Lawrence  ...

1 comment: