Sunday, March 20, 2011

Uncomfortable Conversation




“How long have you lived in Clemson?”

“Too long.” smile

“…So, what church do you and your husband attend.”

“We’re Jewish.  There are synagogues in Greenville some of my friends go to, but I am non-practicing.  I’m a bad Jew.” smile

“But Jews are the Chosen People.”

“...Yeah… chosen to suffer…” wide smile

...Discussion of pogroms, and the Middle East, and my parents' immigration to Brazil ensues...

...and I confess that I am an atheist...

“I’m one of them atheists. Jews make good atheists and they think they make good Buddhists.”

“You don’t mean, like, you don’t believe in God?”

“Uh-huh, yeah, one of those.”

“So what do you think God is?”

“A human invention born out of a need to believe in something....  ...And what Church do you attend?”

"It's a Christian Church. Non-denominational. Baptist."

"Oh, that's cool, the non-denominational..."

Yep, one uncomfortable conversation...


No comments:

Post a Comment