Monday, January 23, 2017

I've been "learning" Italian

A year or so ago I was introduced to the language app Duolingo and decided to start using it to ostensibly learn to speak Italian. I don't know how much I have really learned, but most lessons have hilarious phrases that reinforce the (un/fair?) stereotypes we hold about their culture.  A lot of the phrases have do with cars, theft, death, design, mothers and love.  Phrases such as:

È più facile morrire que amare  :  It is easier to die than to love.

Or

Il mio fratello non ruba  :  My brother does not steal

And one that shows up a lot and that I particularly like:

Il direttore del museo è in prigione  :  the museum director is 
                                                       in prison 

(-;  

And today's phrase struck me as being particularly reflective of the way I feel at the moment:

La nostra è una sana paura  :  Ours is a sane fear.    

…I am not making this stuff up.



No comments:

Post a Comment