Monday, October 6, 2008

And never the Twain Shall Meet























Dear Ms. Thompson,

How many times does a person with the sense that a community should be more than a series of intersecting commercial strips have to fight to keep such developments as the one proposed in the attachment to this email out of ones community? First it was the Wal-Mart and now the Lowe's Mart.

I understand private property and all, but sometimes the good of the community as a whole should override the interests of a private developer. Look at how downtown Greenville has developed to be a magnet for people from all over the state and beyond precisely because it opted to develop differently than the average American town. It has not gotten to be the attraction that it is by having a bunch of big box stores open up close to downtown. One can hardly get into town on the weekends, so bursting it is with people who come to enjoy a well designed and planned community.

Granted, the intersection of Isaqueena and 123 is not exactly "downtown", but the bulk of the area is residential, and Isaqueena is a main artery that allows people to bypass the congested area of 93; it would be nice if it remained that way or developed into a multi-use community with truly small businesses. Not to mention that if Lowe's comes into town, it will quash all the other small businesses in the area that provide similar services, thus eliminating any semblance this place has to an actual community.

This city seems to spend an inordinate amount of money bricking up everything in the hopes of making it look like a user friendly town. Well, bricks plus big box stores, even if they are forced to look quaint, do not a town make. To use a much publicized phrase, it's like putting lipstick on a pig. Please try to pass legislation to improve the quality of living in Clemson in a sustainable way and for "the small" guy. You just have to look at the past couple of years to see what unfettered and unregulated free market capitalism has resulted in. Downtown Clemson is barely usable without more sprawling development swallowing what is already an impossibly small center; let's develop the outskirts in a user friendly way.

I apologize for the tone of this letter, but the knowledge that I have to fight such development all over again, and that we don't seem to learn anything from the past does not bring out my "sunny disposition" side. Please let me know how you decide on this issue so I can decide what to do at the ballot box.


Sincerely,

Katya Cohen



Ms Cohen,

I am for Lowe's as I was for Wal Mart. This past year, council spent $80 thousand dollars on economic developement because in my opinion that some on council let the Wal Mart locate in Central. This was all do to political pressure. I beat to a different drum and make no bones about how I feel. When I ran for council 4 years ago, economic development was one of my goals and I, along with the majority of citizens were upset the Wal Mart was lost to Central. That same council who voted to let Wal Mart go are now on board for economic development. We all would love to get a Target, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc and the list goes on. We as a council, voted on this and we all agreed to this.

As far as hurting small businesses, should I as a business owner not open my business because I might hurt someone. That is not how the free market works. When Chic Fil A comes to Clemson, should they not come because it may hurt McDonald's or Wendy's.

Clemson is no longer a small town and we on council don't use the phrase "Village". As far as your reference to Greenville, I love going to downtown Greenville and so do thousands of other people.

As stated previously, it is now and always my intent to be straightforward. However, I like a citizen who gets involved and speaks their mind. I will always welcome your comments even when we don't agree.


Respectfully yours,

Margaret J Thompson

Clemson City Council



Dear Ms. Thompson,

I appreciate your opinion even though it differs from mine. I also appreciate that you've always answered my letters, unlike the other council members- I really do. If the council has decided that this already shitty little town needs to look like Anderson and have the same traffic problems, so be it.

Let me ask you, does not political pressure mean that you answered to your constituents when the Walmart wanted to locate here?

Again, I do sincerely appreciate your service,

Katya Cohen






No comments:

Post a Comment